Hey! It's almost February!
We did it! One month down, 11 to go. Counting down the years for no reason at all. Okay wait, that's not how I wanted to start this blog.
I set myself several goals for 2019. One of those goals was to buy myself a new plant and a new record every month of the year. I'm going to be 33 this year, and I've been working since I was a teenager. I've bought myself nice stuff here and there, gone on a few vacations, sure - but like many Millennials, I often get caught up in the feeling that 98% of my paycheque is just being consumed by rent, bills, and debt. The other 2% is usually sushi to make myself feel better about it.
I realized at some point along the way that I'd almost never bought myself a house plant. I LOVE plant stores, ironically. Every time I go to a plant store, which isn't often, I'm consumed with the desire to bring them all home, to turn my house into a living tropical forest. Yet I never buy myself plants! Why?
I think it's because I've moved SO OFTEN. I've lived in crap-shack after crap-shack and been renovicted, or gone on tour and been living in a van for good portions of the year. At the end of 2015 I was literally living in a house with a whole bunch of stranger-roommates and NO POWER. In December. NO POWER. Not exactly a conducive environment for plant nurturing. These kinds of living arrangements don't make me want to invest in beautifying my living space.
I've been living now in the same place for a few years, and who knows how longer we'll stay ... but I actually want to ENJOY living here. For the first time in my super ADHD life, I'm able to slow down long enough to look at what's around me and think about what kind of a place I want to wake up in. The kind of place I want to wake up in has plants.
There's a similar thing with the records. I don't want to bore you, so I'll tell you more about 'why records' next month. For now - allow me to unveil this month's Plant & Record!
Plant: A tiny areca palm in an adorable planter
I don't have a lot of money this month, and I happened to see this adorable little plant guy for sale at Superstore for $4.88. Perfect! I'm hoping to collect a variety of plants big and small, so why not start out with something simple, small and cheap? And SO CUTE. I feel more grown up already with this little fellow gracing my living room shelf. I guess part of this challenge is also to help me get a little more oriented with growing house plants since I've got a bit of the black thumb. Here's what I learned about areca palms:
- they can grow 6 to 10 inches per year
- they can live up to 10 years
- Keep the soil lightly moist in spring and summer and allow it to dry slightly between waterings
- Use a time-release fertilizer in the spring (What the heck is that? message me if you know!)
- The fronds benefit from a micronutrient fertilizer spray in summer (omg what am I getting into???)
- Don't fertilize these plants in fall and winter
- Repot every 2-3 years; even though areca palms prefer a tight pot, repotting allows you to replace the potting soil
Jeez, and this is an easy plant! Stay tuned for updates on how I'm not going to kill it (fingers crossed).
Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, m. A. A. d. city
I went to a few different record shops for my inaugural record purchase of 2019 and I was immediately struck by how frickin' expensive records are! I briefly considered just buying a used record from a secondhand store, but those are all usually classic rock and old stuff, and I already have some of that. I really want to treat myself to music that I actually want, not settle for whatever's cheap and convenient. I had a different record in mind this month but wasn't able to find it in any of the local record stores. I considered ordering it online but the shipping was $16! Gosh, I guess I'm going to really have to give up my spendthriftyness if I'm going to amass an actual collection of good records.
I came upon this record at Red Cat Records in Vancouver and decided to go with it. My husband and I went through a whole phase where we just listened to Kendrick Lamar endlessly on YouTube and Spotify. We really got into it, and haven't given Kendrick Lamar a single dime. I feel like Kendrick has definitely earned some of my money, and based on the enjoyment I've gotten out of listening to his music, I owe him. Even though I've heard all these songs and wasn't particularly in the market this month for a rap album, I feel good about this purchase. A shiny new record, supporting an artist I like, not settling for another Eagles record from Value Village... everything's comin' up Milhouse!
That's it for this time - tune in at the end of Feb to see my plant-and-record collection grow!